More on HIV

I’m sure this obsession is getting tedious, but I happened, by complete coincidence, on the following from the Princeton University Residential Living Policies Guide:

HIV Infection
The following excerpts are from “Guidelines for Students Regarding HIV Infection.”

Fundamental to Princeton’s response to HIV infection and other chronic illness is the commitment to respect the rights and reasonable concerns of everyone, including those individuals living with these conditions.

Accommodations for Students Living with HIV

The Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination protect students with disabilities. Under these acts and University policy, HIV infection is considered to be a disability. As with all disabilities, Princeton University will make reasonable accommodations for students living with HIV.

Peers of Students with HIV

Peers of those students who are HIV infected are expected to continue to carry out their academic responsibilities in a normal fashion. Should a student experience fear or anxiety with regard to interacting with a fellow student who is known or perceived to have HIV disease, he or she should contact a member of the Princeton University Health Services staff for information on HIV disease, or the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students for information about accommodating other requests. Students who wish to transfer to another residence to avoid contact with a fellow student who is HIV infected or perceived to be living with HIV do not have a right to such reassignment.

For further information, please refer to the “Princeton University Policy on HIV Infection” and the complete “Guidelines for Students Regarding HIV Infection” available through the Office of the Associate Provost for Administration, 3 Nassau Hall, or the Office of the Director of Clinical Services, Princeton University Health Services.

UPDATE: Here’s another fun tidbit: “An undergraduate who is to be married during the academic year must inform the Housing Department and provide his or her marriage license before the agreement is terminated.” I call heterosexism on the married student housing.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s